How to get Driving Licence in Kolkata?
We cannot drive a motor vehicle in our country unless we have a Driving license for driving that class/category of vehicle.
Initially, we should apply for Learner’s Licence to become eligible for obtaining Permanent License.
There are two stages to get a Permanent Driving Licence.
Stage I: Obtaining a Learner’s Licence
Stage II: Obtaining a Permanent Licence
Stage I: How to get Learner’s Licence in Kolkata?
Documents which are required for Learner’s Licence
- Three 3 copies of applicant recent passport size photograph
- Medical Certificate
- Proof of residence (Any one of the following)
- Voter ID
- Ration Card
- Electricity/Water/Telephone Bill
- Income Tax Returns
- Life Insurance Policy
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of Age(Any one of the following)
- Birth Certificate
- School certificate
- PAN Card
Eligibility for obtaining a Learner’s Licence
- Age eligibility to get LL
- for driving a vehicle With Gear: 18 years
- for driving a vehicle Without Gear: 16 year
- familiar with Traffic rules & regulations
Prescribed Fee for Learner License: Rs.30 (for Normal Category) to Rs.90 depending on the Category
Where to Submit and Obtain Learner’s Licence
- Please take the print of the Form-1, form-2 and Fill it
- You can go to your near local Transport Zonal Office along with the required documents, forms, photographs and the prescribed Fee.
Procedure to Obtain LL
- Verification of documents.
- Learner test:
- 10 multiple objective type questions,
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Topics: Road signs, Traffic rules & regulations
- Minimum marks to qualify: 6
- Expected time to Obtain: On the same day, within 2-3 hours who qualified the test. Incase if you didn’t get qualify, you can take up the test again after a week.
Stage II: How to get Permanent Driving License in Kolkata?
Eligibility for obtaining a Permanent Driving Licence
- A valid Learner’s Licence
- Must apply after 30 days and within 180 days from the date of issuance of learner licence
- Familiar with the vehicle systems, driving, traffic rules and regulations
Requirements for obtaining Permanent Driving Licence
- One recent passport size photograph
- Proof of citizenship
- A Vehicle for test
- You need to bring your all original documents as well along with photocopies for verification.
Validity of Permanent Driving Licence: We can use anywhere in India for 20 years from the date of issue
- You need to fill form-4 and submit it at your near local Transport Zonal Office along with required documents as mentioned above.
- Driving Test: An Inspector of the Transport Department will test you for your driving abilities and you have to bring your own vehicle for driving test of the same categories.
- After successful driving test, your finger impression and photographs will be taken along required documents and application forms. Thereafter, you will be issued the driving licence on the same day.
This article was originally a post by BangaloreCircle